Thursday, April 12, 2018

Review: The Perfect Nanny by Leïla Slimani

35301485 Summary from Goodreads

When Myriam, a mother and brilliant French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work, she and her husband are forced to look for a caretaker for their two young children. They are thrilled to find Louise: the perfect nanny right from the start. Louise sings to the children, cleans the family's beautiful apartment in Paris's upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late whenever asked, and hosts enviable kiddie parties. But as the couple and the nanny become more dependent on each other, jealousy, resentment, and frustrations mount, shattering the idyllic tableau.

My Review:


What I Liked:

Characters. The novel mainly focuses shows the point of view of the nanny, Louise and her employer, Myriam. But it also puts in the POV of the side characters which was interesting to read. Leila Slimani does a good job crafting her characters and showing the readers the different aspects of them. 

Writing. The main reason why I kept reading was Slimani's beautiful writing style. It was lyrical and poetic, a style I enjoy and it made the novel enjoyable. 

What I Disliked:

Plot Structure. The novel starts off with the crime and then goes into why it happened. I would have liked it better if we had no idea what was going to happen, knowing took out some of the suspense. The chapters and POVS made the reading experience a bit jumbled, at least for me. 

Thriller Aspects. I was hoping for a more suspenseful novel. However, it tended to focus more on the characters and the poetic writing and less on the thriller aspects. 

I recommend checking out this literary thriller, it was an interesting read.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment