Thursday, May 24, 2018

Review: The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

36869501 Summary from Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly's totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie's new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she'll get her first kiss and she'll get her twin back.

There's only one problem: Molly's coworker, Reid. He's a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there's absolutely no way Molly could fall for him.

Right?

My Review:


What I Liked:


Characters. Albertalli does an amazing job crafting characters that you connect with. I really saw myself in Molly (expect for some choices she made). And she did a good job creating Molly's interesting family/friends that were fun to read about. 


Love Interest/Romance. Okay. I'm that person who usually reads a contemporary and does not care for the main romance. But with Albertalli, in all of her books, she makes the most adorable couples. Once again, she has crafted a cute couple that I loved. Also, the love interest was one of my favorites! :)


Universe. I enjoyed how Albertalli included characters from the Creekwood series. The twins are cousins of Abby so we got to see that character, mainly in text form, throughout the novel. 

What I Disliked:


Plot/Pacing. I liked the main romance but felt like it could have happened a lot sooner than it did. Plus, there was a possible love triangle that I was not a fan of. 


Family/Friends. I had a hard time connecting with some of the side characters. Mainly, Cassie, Molly's twin. I felt that she was very self centered so many times in the novel that it was hard to see her any other way. 


I recommend checking out this great cute romance if you enjoy Albertalli's writing style. 


My Rating:


4 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment