Sunday, May 27, 2018

Review: A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V.E. Schwab

29939230 Summary from Goodreads:

Witness the fate of beloved heroes - and enemies.

THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.

My Review:


What I Liked:

Characters. As always, Schwab, brings up the amazing characters we grew to love in the first two novels. This is one of those series where is insanely hard to pick a favorite character, I love them all so much, well maybe Lila can be named my favorite. 

Plot/Action. I felt in the book compared to the sequel had so much in it that every page was interesting and propelled the plot forward. I listened to the 19 hour audiobook and found myself constantly listening to because I was so engrossed in the plot. 

Twists/Intense. No spoilers, but I did have to turn the audiobook off during work so I would not burst into tears. Yep. Schwab knows just what to write to make your emotions go crazy!

Audiobook. I felt intimidated by how big the print version was, which is why it took me this long to finally read it, but the audiobook helped me overcome that. I loved the audiobook and the narrators, it engrossed me within the world and minds of the characters. 

Romance. I'm usually a picky romance person so it was great that I adored the two couples in the novel! :) Plus, I enjoyed the fact that Schwab had very tasteful not over the top romantic content. 

What I Disliked:

POVs. The only negative thing I have about this book is the constant switching between different points of view. I feel that without the audiobook it would have been harder to tell who was speaking in each chapter.

I recommend checking out this well-written and intense series! I'm looking forward to the next book the series. 

My Rating:


4.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment