Thursday, September 20, 2018

Review: Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables #3) by L.M. Montgomery

77392 Summary from Goodreads:

New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for Redmond College. With old friend Prissy Grant waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and frivolous new pal Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers life on her own terms, filled with surprises...including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move  into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly Anne must decide if she's ready for love...

My Review:


What I Liked:

Characters. I was not a huge fan of all the side characters before this book but this time around the author introduces a lot of new and interesting characters. It is hard to pick a favorite but Davy is still at the top of my list along with Anne and Gilbert. 

Plot. This time around I enjoyed the main plot. The author thankfully focused most of the novel on Anne Shirity instead of on other side characters. It was nice to see the plot focus less on Green Gables and have Anne going away from the town. 

Audiobook. I was struggling with the ebook so I decided to check out the audiobook. I managed to listen to the entire thing, starting at chapter 5 out of 41 in almost a day because it was so well done. I loved the narrator. I will be checking out all of the Green Gables audiobooks with the same narrator. 

Romance. I'm a fan of slow burning romances and the one between Anne and Gilbert is one of the slowest ones I've ever read! Despite how long it has taken for Anne to realize she loves Gilbert it was well done and fun to read. 

What I Disliked:

Pacing/Plot. I'm not a fan of the format or pacing of the Green Gables series at all, which is why I struggled with reading the novels in physical form. The plot still focused a lot on other characters and situations that were a little boring in my opinion. 

Dialogue. One of the issues I've had with the whole series is how much long dialogue it has. The audiobook helped a lot with the amount of dialogue in the novel because the narrator gives each of the characters their own voice. 

I recommend checking out this series it was a cute read. 

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment