Thursday, September 13, 2018

Review: Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables #2) by L.M. Montgomery

77390Summary from Goodreads:

At sixteen, Anne is grown up...almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behavior of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone.


My Review:



What I Liked:


Characters. The sections I enjoyed were the ones about the twins, Davy and Dora, I would have loved a book just about them at Green Gables. It was great seeing all of my favorite characters from the first book, Marilla, Anne, Gilbert, Diana, and many more. And they were why I kept reading the series. 

Beautiful Writing. The main reason I kept reading this novel was the writing style. Montgomery has a poetic style where she focuses a lot on the landscape and it was beautiful. 

What I Disliked:


Plot/Format/Pacing. I struggled with the slow pace. However, even though the novel felt slow a bunch of time is passing without a good way of knowing when everything is happening. I had the same issue with book one as Anne went from eleven to sixteen without many indications of time passing. I also felt that the plot covered a lot of other people while not focusing enough on Anne and advancing her story. 


I recommend checking out this series if appeals to you. While, I enjoyed book one I was not a fan of the sequel and will not be continuing on with the series.

My Rating:


3 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment