Thursday, June 28, 2018

Review: Song of Blood & Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles #1) by L. Penelope

36347830Summary from Goodreads:

A treacherous, thrilling, epic fantasy about an outcast drawn into a war between two powerful rulers. 

Orphaned and alone, Jasminda lives in a land where cold whispers of invasion and war linger on the wind. Jasminda herself is an outcast in her homeland of Elsira, where her gift of Earthsong is feared. When ruthless soldiers seek refuge in her isolated cabin, they bring with them a captive--an injured spy who threatens to steal her heart. 

Jack's mission behind enemy lines to prove that the Mantle between Elsira and Lagamiri is about to fall nearly cost him his life, but he is saved by the healing Song of a mysterious young woman. Now he must do whatever it takes to save Elsira and it's people from the True Father and he needs Jasminda's Earthsong to do it. They escape their ruthless captors and together they embark on a perilous journey to save Elsira and to uncover the secrets of The Queen Who Sleeps. 

Thrust into a hostile society, Jasminda and Jack must rely on one another even as secrets jeopardize their bond. As an ancient evil gains power, Jasminda races to unlock a mystery that promises salvation. 


The fates of two nations hang in the balance as Jasminda and Jack must choose between love and duty to fulfill their destinies and end the war. 

My Review:



What I Liked:

World Building. The best part of the novel besides the writing was the world Penelope has created. I kept reading, despite some aspects I did not care for because of how well crafted the world was. 

Magic System/History. I enjoyed learning the history of Earthsingers and the aspects of their powers. I would have liked even more focus on the power they had over the elements but overall it was well done. 

Characters. I liked both POVs of Jack and Jasminda. It was easy to tell them apart because they had unique voices. My favorite character was Jasminda, she was easy to connect with and a strong character. 

Plot. The main plot aside from the romance was intriguing and had me reading until the conclusion. I loved how the story intertwined the present and the past so the reader could understand the history of Earthsingers. 

What I Disliked:

Instant Love. The romance grew on me as the novel went on but I like slow burning romances and this one happened too quickly in my opinion. I felt that the novel would have held up without the romance aspect. 

Sexual Content. I was not expecting there to be two not needed sex scenes. I tend to avoid novels that have these types of scenes because I do not care for them. So if that is not something you want to read you should skip this book, it is more New Adult than Young Adult. 

I recommend checking out this fantasy series, it has interesting characters and a new world to explore. Despite the sexual content I will be reading books two and three because I want to know what happens next in this world. 

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment