Thursday, June 7, 2018

Review: Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3) by Seanan McGuire

27366528Summary from Goodreads:

Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world.

Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she’s trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.

My Review:



What I Liked:

Writing Style. I adore the way that McGuire writes. It was the same again with this recent addition to the series.

Characters. McGuire introduced a few new characters. I liked the character, Cora, who is the main point of view and comes from a world where she was a mermaid. But it mainly focused on previous characters, bringing back old ones and showing their various worlds. I loved seeing the characters from book one and how McGuire is showing us each of the worlds they come from. 

Imagery/Plot. McGuire introduced the readers to two new worlds, the Halls of the Dead, where Nancy came from and Confection, Sumi's world. McGuire has no trouble crating these strange worlds and making the reader feel like they are there. 

What I Disliked:

Plot/Ending. While, I loved the writing style and characters McGuire created I struggled with the plot. I felt that the last half of the novel was rushed. I loved seeing the world of Confection but in those last 70-50 pages felt that everything went by too quickly and the resolution felt lackluster. 

I recommend checking out this short but sweet series! :)

My Rating:


4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment