Sunday, February 10, 2019

Review: Sweet Little Lies (Cat Kinsella #1) by Caz Frear

36432172Summary from Goodreads:

What happens when the trust has gone?

Cat Kinsella was always a daddy's girl. Until the summer of 1998 when she sees her father flirting with seventeen-year-old Maryanne Doyle.

When Maryanne later disappears and Cat's father denies ever knowing her, Cat's relationship with him is changed forever. 

Eighteen years later, Cat is now a Detective Constable with the Met. Called to the scene of a murder in Islington, she discovers a woman's body: Alice Lapaine has been found strangled, not far from the pub that Cat's father runs. 


When evidence links Alice to the still missing Maryanne, all Cat's fears about her father resurface. Could he really be a killer? Determined to confront the past and find out what really happened to Maryanne all those years ago, Cat begins to dig into the case. But the problem with looking into the past is that sometimes you might not like what you find.

Review:

This is an example of me reading out of my comfort zone. I tend to stay away from adult detective or police fiction because I realized it is not a genre for me. However, I read this for the #buzzwordathon on twitter. It was a readathon where you had to read novels with the words lie, lied, or lying in the title. It was an okay read.

What I Liked:

Main Character. The only character I connected with was Cat while I there wasn't any side characters that I found interesting even the tiny love interest. Cat was an intriguing character because she was a bit grey with her morals most of all as a cop. I found it was cool to read a character like that because you do not tend to see them often.  

Plot/Twists. I thought that I had the main mystery figured out but it completely surprised by the ending. I was not expecting the conclusion and that made my reading experience ten times better. 

Writing. I will be checking out more from this debut author because of her writing style. I enjoyed it more when it dealt with the main characters interactions with her family or her past. 

What I Disliked:

Pacing/detective/police elements. I almost put down the novel around 35% mainly because I was struggling through the interrogations and police work that it focused on. I also found the pacing slow even when I read the last half of the novel in one night it was still hard to get through. 

I recommend checking this novel out if you enjoy detective fiction with a great twist ending. 

Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment