Thursday, February 14, 2019

Review: Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer #2) by Laini Taylor

38474168 Summary from Goodreads:

In the wake of tragedy, neither Lazlo nor Sarai are who they were before. One a god, the other a ghost, they struggle to grasp the new boundaries of their selves as dark-minded Minya holds them hostage, intent on vengeance against Weep.

Lazlo faces an unthinkable choice--save the woman he loves, or everyone else?--while Sarai feels more helpless than ever. But is she? Sometimes, only the direst need can teach us our own depths, and Sarai, the muse of nightmares, has not yet discovered what she's capable of.

As humans and godspawn reel in the aftermath of the citadel's near fall, a new foe shatters their fragile hopes, and the mysteries of the Mesarthim are resurrected: Where did the gods come from, and why? What was done with thousands of children born in the citadel nursery? And most important of all, as forgotten doors are opened and new worlds revealed: Must heroes always slay monsters, or is it possible to save them instead?

Love and hate, revenge and redemption, destruction and salvation all clash in this gorgeous sequel to the New York Times bestseller, Strange the Dreamer. 

Review:

I have the habit of taking FOREVER to read Laini Taylor's novels because I do not want them to end. I always like the fact that I have at least one of her novels on my TBR because she is in my top five favorite authors. So, I waited paitently until I could find this one on Kindle, I tend to read big books faster if they are digital format, and dove in. And it was an okay read. 

What I Loved:

The WRITING. I have been a fan of Laini Taylor since I randomly picked up her first novel, Daughter of Smoke and Bones in high school. 

Characters. I would read an entire novel dedicated to the side characters in this Laini Taylor series which is not at all surprising. I'm really hoping that we get more material set in this universe but with more of the side characters, maybe with Thyon as the main POV. This was the reason I loved the low start is because of the character development we received with these beloved characters that we came to adore in book one. 

Content. I felt that the second novel was more New Adult than YA but Laini Taylor did the transition and sexual content in a tasteful way. 

What I Disliked:

Plot. I hate to say it because I adore Laini Taylor, her writing and characters, but I did not enjoy the plot as much as I expected. I found the first one was a stronger novel than this one and it hurt my heart to even think it. However, I loved the ending, mainly the last chapter and would love to see a continuation of it. 

Pacing. I adored the first 100 or so pages where Lazlo met everyone and finally got to be with Sarai but once the actual plot started I felt that it dragged for me. The middle was the worst when it came to pacing and I even thought about putting down, while from 70% on it went quickly. 

I recommend checking out the Strange the Dreamer series if you love Laini Taylor as much as I do. The first novel is a 5/5 Stars while the second was an okay but disappointing ending for me. 

Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment