Sunday, March 4, 2018

Review: Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

18876036 Summary from Goodreads:

A sweet and satisfying novel of how delicious it is to discover your dreams


Issy Randall can bake. No, Issy can create stunning, mouthwateringly divine cakes. After a childhood spent in her beloved Grampa Joe's bakery, she has undoubtedly inherited his talent. She's much better at baking than she is a filing so when she's laid off from her desk job, Issy decides to open her own little café. But she soon learns that her piece-of-cake plan will take all of her courage and confectionary talent to avert disaster.


Funny and sharp, Meet Me at the Cupcake Café is about how life might not always taste like you expect, but there's always room for dessert!

My Review:



I needed a break from thrillers and Colgan's novels were a great cute solution to my problem. :)

What I Liked:

Characters. Colgan does a great job creating interesting and unique characters. I liked the main character, Issy but she also did a great job o crafting three- dimensional side characters. 

Recipes. Unlike the last novel I read by Colgan, that had the recipes at the end as a side note, I loved how she interrogated the cup cake recipes into the main plot. Some of them were creations of the main character, Issy, while others were being passed down from her grandfather. 

Writing Style. Despite some of my issues with the novel I kept reading because I like Colgan's writing style. She is very detailed and good at crafting interesting side plots and characters. I love her humor and her ability to create intriguing plots surrounding her likeable characters. 

What I Disliked:

Length. The novel was over 400 pages long, I felt that it was a bit too long and it dragged in the middle. I believe it could have been about 50 or so pages shorter in my opinion. 

Plot. I liked some aspects of the plot but felt that the romance could have been better or even left out of the novel entirely. I was more interested on the cafe and would have liked more time spent on it then the romance. Plus, the novel had so many side plots that it was difficult to follow at times. 

I recommend checking out this cute novel if you want something fluffy and food centered to read. 

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment