Sunday, August 5, 2018

Review: The Garden of Small Beginnings by Abbi Waxman

32570475Summary from Goodreads:

Not since Good Grief has a book about a young widow been so poignant, funny, original, and utterly believable. A compelling debut novel about loss.

Give grief a chance ... 

Lilian Girvan has been a single mother for three years - ever since her husband died in a car accident. One mental breakdown and some random suicidal thoughts later, she's just starting to get the hang of this widow thing. She can now get her two girls to school, show up to work, and watch TV like a pro. The only problem is she's becoming overwhelmed with being underwhelmed. 

At least her textbook illustrating job has some perks - like actually being called upon to draw whale genitalia. Oh, and there's that vegetable-gardening class her boss signed her up for. Apparently being the chosen illustrator for a series of boutique vegetable guides means getting your hands dirty, literally. Wallowing around in compost on a Saturday morning can't be much worse than wallowing around in pajamas and self-pity. 

After recruiting her kids and insanely supportive sister to join her, Lilian shows up at the Los Angeles Botanical Garden feeling out of her element. But what she'll soon discover - with the help of a patient instructor and a quirky group of gardeners - is that into every life a little sun must shine, whether you want it to or not… 

My Review:


I'm slowly making it through all of the ARCS on my kindle and this one stood out because of the stunning cover. I'm so happy that I finally read this! 

What I Liked:

Writing Style. Waxman's writing style was easy to follow and enjoy. I love a novel that has writing I can easily get lost in and this was one of them. I will be checking out her next novel! 

Plot/Setting. The plot wasn't crazy, it was a simple story about a widow/mother and her life but that is what made me enjoy it. The whole garden class story line was a great aspect of the novel that was fun to read about. It focused more on Lilian's day to day life, work, and taking care of two kids. I was unsure if I would enjoy a novel about that but I did! 

Characters. This was a character driven novel with a side of plot, my favorite kind. I love a novel that only comes from the main characters point of view but still manages to have great side characters. Waxman did a great job of crafting characters that I kept wanting to read about. I would love to see a novel from the point of view of any of the side characters. 

Romance. I'm a fan of slow burn romance and this hit the spot. There was attraction but no instant romance instead it progressed over the whole novel. It also helped that the love interest was a great character. 

I recommend checking out this great contemporary adult novel even if you are not a fan of the genre. 

My Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment