Thursday, August 23, 2018

Review: Anne of Green Gables (#1) by L.M. Montgomery

8127 Summary from Goodreads:

Everyone's favorite redhead, the spunky Anne Shirley, begins her adventures at Green Gables, a farm outside Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. When the freckled girl realizes that the elderly Cuthberts wanted to adopt a boy instead, she begins to try to win them and, consequently, the reader, over.


My Review:



What I Liked:

Characters. The best aspect of the Green Gables series is the various well-written characters. Of course, right now Anne is my favorite one but I also came to love the Cuthberts. I'm looking forward to the next novel in the series because of the characters. 

Plot/Humor. Once I got into the novel it was a enjoyable read. I loved reading about all the mischief and mistakes that happen to Anne. Despite the format, I liked the main plot and how we come to see Anne get accepted by the town. 

Lack of Romance. Personally I needed a break from romantic centered novels and this was it. The novel focused on the coming of age story with Anne, on friendship, and on family. 

What I Disliked:

Pacing/Format. This time around I found the pacing too quick for me. Anne goes from age eleven, from the orphanage until age sixteen but the only indication was whenever the author told us her age. I felt that it went too quickly for a series with nine volumes. 

Writing Style. It took me while to get used to the third person style of the prose. However, as the novel went on I started to enjoy the style and the lyrical writing. 

I recommend checking out this classic children's novel, it was a fun read. I will keep reading this series. 

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment