Sunday, February 17, 2019

ARC Review: Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks

34506913Summary from Goodreads:

Miriam's family should be rich. After all, her grandfather was the co-creator of smash-hit comics series The TomorrowMen. But he sold his rights to the series to his co-creator in the 1960s for practically nothing, and now that's what Miriam has: practically nothing. And practically nothing to look forward to either-how can she afford college when her family can barely keep a roof above their heads? As if she didn't have enough to worry about, Miriam's life gets much more complicated when a cute boy shows up in town . . . and turns out to be the grandson of the man who defrauded Miriam's grandfather, and heir to the TomorrowMen fortune.



In her endearing debut novel, cartoonist Faith Erin Hicks pens a sensitive and funny Romeo and Juliet tale about modern romance, geek royalty, and what it takes to heal the long-festering scars of the past (Spoiler Alert: love).

Review:


What I Liked:

Characters. The novel is told from Miriam and Weldon's point of view, the two main characters and love interests. The side characters were interesting as well and I loved how Hicks really fleshed out the parents of both of the main teenage characters. They had a big part in the novel. Hicks did a great job developing her main characters and creating interesting side ones. 

Plot. I went in expecting a Romeo/Juliet style plot and that is just what I got from this novel. And boy it was cute! I overall had a great time reading it and enjoyed the whole plot and character development that happened throughout the book. I struggled to put this down at times because I was so involved with the story and characters. 

Writing Style. This is Hick's first prose novel and it was so well done for a first full-length novel. I really enjoyed her humor and writing style. I will be checking out her graphic novels and more novels from her in the future. 

Romance. It takes a lot for me to like a romantic couple, I'm super picky when it comes to love stories, and Hicks managed to grab my heart with the main couple. I would have read a 1,000 page novel just about Miriam and Weldon and their cute banter. :D 

I recommend checking this well-done cute Romeo and Juliet style YA novel. It was a fun read that got me out of my current reading slump.

Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment