Thursday, October 4, 2018

Review: Single-Minded by Lisa Daily

31450821Summary from Goodreads:

Alex has planned and executed her life with laser focus since she first met her future husband at the play-doh table on the first day of kindergarten. They have a terrific life, a gorgeous house on the bay, and fantastic careers they love. There's only one problem: Alex's husband Michael is gay, a fact he neglected to mention in the 23 years since they first met.


Now, Alex's perfectly planned life has completely fallen apart, her biological clock is starting to feel like the timer on a nuclear device, and she finds herself drooling over her completely-dreamy-but-definitely-off-limits client, a star chef opening a hot new restaurant. Armed with dating guidance from her oddball collection of advisers including her gay ex-husband, a foul-mouthed political consultant, a perkily masochistic yogi, and a pot-smoking octogenarian Alex navigates the booby-trapped world of modern dating, in her search for a second chance at love.

My Review:

I've had this ARC on my shelf since last year. I was going to get rid of it but decided to read the first chapter before I did. Which was a good idea because I really liked it and finished the book in two days. :)

What I Liked:

Main Character. I disliked some of the inner thoughts/comments of the main character but still ended up liking her. Alex goes through so much in the book and it was interesting to see her journey from heartbreak to new love. 

Side Characters. I was not a fan of some of the other characters but there were good ones, like Daniel, that helped me enjoy the novel. 

Romance. I'm not a fan of romance but lately I've managed to find a few good ones. And this was one of them. The novel mainly focused on Alex and her journey to find herself but also had a side of romance. The main reason I liked it was the love interest, he was not just there to look pretty, Daniel was also a great chef and always said something that made me like him even more than I already did! It got a little cheesy in parts but overall I loved the couple and their story. 

Humor.

What I Disliked: 

Actions/Thoughts of the main character. The main reason I gave this a 4 instead of the 5 was down to one sentence. The main character, in a not joking way wishes her husband would go back into the closet and pretend so she could have her old life back. The sentence rubbed me the wrong way (I was reading my old ARC and I hope they changed it) because I don't think anyone should wish that on someone, to not be true to yourself. Besides this I really enjoyed the novel. 

Sexual content. I was actually surprised that this novel manages to not have too much adult content. However, it still had more than I like as a reader. 

I recommend checking out this contemporary/romance novel, it was funny and had a great main character. 

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment