Sunday, January 20, 2019

Review: Dread Nation (#1) by Justina Ireland

35838966Summary from Goodreads:

Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville—derailing the War Between the States and changing America forever. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children attend combat schools to learn to put down the dead. But there are also opportunities—and Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It’s a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. After all, not even being the daughter of a wealthy white Southern woman could save her from society’s expectations.


But that’s not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn’t pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.

Review:


When Dread Nation first came out I was not sure if I would ever read it, I even picked it up and put it down after only a few pages. The strange plot threw me off but it was not until I read Ireland's short story set in the same world that I decided to finally read it. And I am so glad that I did because it ended up being a new favorite for me. 

What I Enjoyed:

Plot/Setting. I've discovered in 2018 that I love novels that mix together historical fiction with fantasy or horror elements. And this was a perfect example of the new genre that has been emerging lately. I think thanks to this book and a few others that I've discovered my favorite new genre!

Action/Pacing. I managed to read half of the novel in one sitting, something that does not happen often. I felt that Justina Ireland did an amazing job with the flow of the story, it held just the right amount of action and character development that it never dragged for me. My ebook was 455 pages long but it did not feel like it at all, the whole novel flew by and I wanted more by the end. 

Characters. I have to say that it is early on in 2019 but I know Jane McKeene is going to be my favorite main female character of the whole year. I loved reading from her point of view throughout the whole novel, she was badass and easy to connect with. 

Katherine. I was surprised at how intensely I connected with Katherine, mainly because it is implied that she is on the ace spectrum without actually saying the terminology for it. I felt that Ireland did a good job of including the ace/aro aspect without it taking over Katherine's character or having it portrayed as something wrong like it tends to be in other media. As someone on the ace spectrum it was nice to see that in a YA novel, I was able to connect a lot with her character because of it. I've made it a goal in 2019 to check out more Adult and YA novels that include well-crafted ace/aro characters and this was a great start to that!


I recommend checking out this novel. It has a unique plot and amazing characters. 

Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment