Thursday, August 2, 2018

Review: An Offer You Can't Refuse by Jill Mansell


5209142

Summary from Goodreads:

Nothing could tear Lola and Dougie apart, except his mother...


Seventeen-year-old Lola has no intention of accepting when her boyfriend's snobbish mother offers her a huge bribe to break up with him. Then Lola discovers a secret that makes her think again, and the only way she can help one of the people she loves most in the world is to take the money and break Dougie's heart.Ten years later, when Lola meets Dougie again, her feelings for him are as strong as ever. She'll do almost anything to get him back, but she can never tell him the truth. Can she overcome his bitterness and win his heart? She's attractive, persuasive, and endlessly optimistic, but even Lola's got her work cut out for her this time.

My Review:



What I Liked:

Characters. Despite my issues with the pacing and romance I did like Mansell's characters. Lola, Gabe, Sally, were fun to read about. 

Humor. I found myself enjoying the humorous situations the main character found herself in and some of the other humorous parts. It was the main reason I kept reading until the end. 

What I Disliked:

Plot/Pacing. The start of the novel was interesting, dealing with main plot about Doug's mother paying Lola to dump him. However, after that I found that I struggled to get through the novel. It felt jumbled and hard to follow with the amount of plot points and story lines within a 400 paged novel. 

POV. The novel follows three or so different characters and randomly switches between their points of view. I enjoy reading from different points of view but did not like the format the author used. It would have been better if the characters names had been at the top of each chapter. It would have made it easier to tell who was speaking.

Romance. I picked this one based off of the plot and the promise of romance. However, I found it strange that the book focused on other characters romances while not giving enough time on the main one. It made the ending seem lack luster because I did not get enough time with the main romance. 

I recommend checking this out if you want a quick and fun read.

My Rating:

3 Stars Out of 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment