Sunday, May 6, 2018

Review: Waking Gods (Themis Files #2) by Sylvain Neuvel

30134847 Summary from Goodreads:

As a child, Rose Franklin made an astonishing discovery: a giant metallic hand, buried deep within the earth. As an adult, she’s dedicated her brilliant scientific career to solving the mystery that began that fateful day: Why was a titanic robot of unknown origin buried in pieces around the world? Years of investigation have produced intriguing answers—and even more perplexing questions. But the truth is closer than ever before when a second robot, more massive than the first, materializes and lashes out with deadly force.


Now humankind faces a nightmare invasion scenario made real, as more colossal machines touch down across the globe. But Rose and her team at the Earth Defense Corps refuse to surrender. They can turn the tide if they can unlock the last secrets of an advanced alien technology. The greatest weapon humanity wields is knowledge in a do-or-die battle to inherit the Earth . . . and maybe even the stars.

My Review:


What I Liked:

Characters. I once again enjoyed the characters and was glad that we got to revisit the same ones in book two. This time around I felt that the author did a better job of showing character depth with the interview format. 

Plot. This series just keeps on getting better with every novel. The plot started off being okay, nothing new, but as it went on it intensified. It also in my opinion went away from common tropes and Neuvel came up with a unique and intriguing plot. 

Twists. Just like in book one, the author once again did a great job of shocking me. I was next expecting a lot what happened throughout the novel. I'm still unsure how I feel about some of the more drastic twists but it kept me reading. 

What I Disliked: 

Format. I was a slowly getting used to the interview format. However, the last half of the novel once again changed some of the format and it confused me so much it was hard to read. 

I recommend checking out this series but I think audiobook format would be the way to go with this one. 

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment