Sunday, July 30, 2017

Review: Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen #11) by Joanne Fluke

Summary from Goodreads:

"New York Times"-bestselling author Fluke serves up another yummy installment of her Hannah Swensen mystery series, and this time Hannah's sometime squeeze is a prime suspect.

My Review:

What I Liked:

Characters. The main reason I pick up these novels, even though the mysteries are bit predictable, is for the characters. Hannah tends to be my favorite but this time around I was a fan of Norman (he is so sweet!) and her family/friends.

Mystery. I was able to guess who the culprit was before the big reveal. However, I enjoyed trying to figure out the murder mystery.

Recipes. Once again, Fluke does not disappoint with the cookie recipes and I loved how she included other foods as well. Plus, the main character is dieting, which a real struggle in my life and others, so it was great that she included some healthier recipes. :)

What I Disliked:

Pacing. There were some parts, mainly about dieting/every day situations that seemed to be unneeded and slowed down my reading flow. Besides that I love the characters so I do enjoy reading about there lives and about Hannah's devious cat.

Judgement. I found it off putting (which is mainly why this one went down in rating) that Ronni, the town flirt was constantly put down or referred to as a flirt. I felt that it gave off the wrong message that Hannah, our main character, and others were constantly making negative statements about her. She was portrayed as a negative character with no good aspects, which to me was a bit unrealistic.

Love Triangle. I still dislike the whole Norman/Mike/Hannah love triangle situation and I enjoy the books more when they don't bring it up or focus on it. Aside from that, I'm currently on Team Norman, he seems to be down to earth and sweet while Mike has started to get a bit annoying.

I recommend reading this one if you enjoy the characters like me.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment