Thursday, September 15, 2016

Review: The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison


13604611
Summary from Goodreads:

Jonathan Evison has crafted a novel of the heart, a novel of unlikely heroes traveling through a grand American landscape, and most of all, a story that offers a profound look into what it takes to truly care for another person. Bursting with energy and filled with moments of absolute beauty, this bighearted and inspired novel ponders life’s terrible surprises as well as its immeasurable rewards. 

My Review:




I stumbled across the film version of the novel on Netflix a few weeks ago and it was underrated jem.

It made me laugh and almost cry and I decided it would be a good idea to read the novel.

The majority of the jokes/dark humor from the film was not in the novel but it was still a heartwarming read.

I was expecting humor but the novel was more drama heavy with a side of dry jokes.

Despite the fact that enjoyed the film more, mainly because I connected with the humor and love Paul Rudd, I enjoyed this novel for the message of forgiveness, being a good person, dealing with disabilities, and living your life after tragedy.

The POV from the main character, the caretaker, was good but I would have liked to read from Trevor (who has mobile disabilities) POV or even from the otehr side characters.

The storytelling format was done well, switching from present day to the past to explain the main characters tragic history. However, the pacing was slow and it felt longer than under 300 pages.

I recommend checking out this touching novel and also check out the film based off of it.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment