Thursday, September 18, 2014

Review: Gameboard of the Gods (#1) by Richelle Mead


18812362
Summary from Goodreads:

The truth is, when you banish the gods from the world, they eventually come back—with a vengeance.

In the near future, Justin March lives in exile from the Republic of United North America. After failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims, Justin is surprised when he is sent back with a peculiar assignment—to solve a string of ritualistic murders steeped in seemingly unexplainable phenomena.

Justin’s return comes with an even bigger shock: His new partner and bodyguard, Mae Koskinen, is a prætorian, one of the Republic’s technologically enhanced supersoldiers. Mae’s inexplicable beauty and aristocratic upbringing attract Justin’s curiosity and desire, but her true nature holds more danger than anyone realizes.

As their investigation unfolds, Justin and Mae find themselves in the crosshairs of mysterious enemies. Powers greater than they can imagine have started to assemble in the shadows, preparing to reclaim a world that has renounced religion and where humans are merely gamepieces on their board.

My Review:



This book took me a long time to get through mainly because of the pacing, so I can understand why people say that is boring. However, I was not bored with the content or the characters and I enjoyed it enough to move on to the second novel.

It shifted from three POVS, which I did not really care for, but I did enjoy all of the characters, mainly Mae (and loved Mae/Justin).



I recommend checking out this series if you are fan of Richelle Mead and her writing style.

My Rating:

Four Star Out of Five

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend that absolutely loves Richelle Mead's VA and Bloodlines series. I haven't read any of her books yet but I think I'd start with this one. I like how the story sounds, the supersoldier and gods aspect is intriguing! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a looooong time to get into the book. Something about it just didn't engage me. I have read all other books by Richelle Mead, but this one left me a little underwhelmed. I don't know why I had such a difficult time connecting to the characters.. Her world-building was fine, but I remember the book to be very dense. I didn't know book two was out. I guess I'll get it at some point and hope I'll like it more than the first one.

    ReplyDelete