Saturday, July 29, 2017

Review: The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

Summary from Goodreads:

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She’s made a mistake so huge, it’ll wreck any chance of a partnership.

Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she’s mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they’ve hired a lawyer–and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can’t sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope–and finds love–is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.


But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

My Review:

What I Liked:

Humor. I found myself laughing or just generally entertained by the situations that Sam finds herself in. The cooking disaster scene was hilarious. Plus Kinsella uses the situations to show the downside of lying or allowing work to consume all of your free time.

Plot. Once again, Kinsella comes up with a unique and entertaining plot that I have not seen before. Her main messages as always are great and this time she tackles the workaholic culture and that housekeeping is just as good and difficult a profession as being a lawyer.

Writing Style/Characters. I enjoy Kinsella's writing style because she is able to craft fun and interesting characters. Sam is one of my favorite main characters from her novels because she was flawed and had a lot of great character development throughout the story line. Plus, the side characters like Trish and Eddie were great as well, their scenes kept me reading and make the humor work well.

Romance. I was not a huge fan of the romance in Can You Keep a Secret? but this time I loved the romance and wanted more of it!

Nathaniel. I would pay to read a book just from his point of view. He was not in the novel enough! I finally found a love interest that I enjoyed but he did not get very many scenes. 

What I Did Not Like:

Ending. I'm taking .5 stars off for the end of the novel. I enjoyed the ending but to me it felt a bit rushed. Also, I found it pretty weird/unrealistic that Nathaniel and Trish and Eddie Geiger forgave all the lies she told instantly. 

I recommend checking out this quick and entertaining read! :)

My Rating:

4.5 Stars out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment