Sunday, July 2, 2017

Review: Strange the Dreamer (#1) by Laini Taylor

Summary from Goodreads:

Strange the Dreamer is the story of: 

the aftermath of a war between gods and men
a mysterious city stripped of its name
a mythic hero with blood on his hands
a young librarian with a singular dream
a girl every bit as perilous as she is imperiled
alchemy and blood candy, nightmares and godspawn, moths and monsters, friendship and treachery, love and carnage.

Welcome to Weep.

My Review:

Strange the Dreamer, like Taylor's previous series, is not a book you can read it in one sitting. It a dense and slow building series that takes time to take in the whole novel. However, the pacing is what made the novel for me. I may have spend a whole week on one novel, which I never do, but it was worth it to take in the beautiful world of Weep that Taylor created.

The plot itself is an example of unique story-telling that is hard to find today. Taylor's previous series was well crafted as well but I believe that she has mastered her writing with her new series.

As always, Taylor creates characters that as a reader you begin to root for before the first 100 pages have even finished. She created various points of view but they are so different that the reader never questions who is speaking, It is hard to pick who was my favorite character out of the well-rounded and interesting choices but Lazlo our main character is now one of my favorite male POVS.

The use of third person was perfect for this novel. It made the point of view work well and worked with the beautiful prose that Taylor weaved throughout the story.

The world-building and the lore of weep were brilliantly crafted by Taylor and it felt like I was learning about an ancient culture and stepping into a new world. I had no idea what to expect from the novel because I tend to stay away from spoilers and even blurbs. But it is now one of my all time favorite fantasy novels and it has rekindled by love for YA fantasy and even the act of reading itself.

I'm not going to go into detail because I believe you should pick up this beautiful fantasy for yourself and let Taylor's stunning prose tell you everything.

I recommend checking this series out if you enjoy beautiful writing and amazing story-telling/world building. Laini Taylor is by far my favorite author! :)

My Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars. 

6 comments:

  1. I have this on my list for a while now, but the TBR pile is MASSIVE. I hope to pick up this book soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was by far my favorite read of the year, I hope you enjoy it as well when you read it. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Wasn't this book amazing??? I don't usually love dense books because I like to fly through them, but Laini's books are always worth the read. I really hope The Muse of Nightmares is on time to be a March 2018 publication because I don't think I can wait any longer than that! :D

    Have a great week, Rachel. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for the next novel, I agree that I hope it does not get pushed. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. I have this book on my TBR list. I’m glad you liked it! I’ve never read a Laini Taylor book before, but this one sounds amazing. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I would recommend the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series as well, she has a beautiful writing style and comes up with such unique plots

      Delete