Thursday, July 13, 2017

Review: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Summary from Goodreads:

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: 

Secrets from her boyfriend: 
I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. 

Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. 

Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. 


Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her... 

My Review:

I have a section on my shelf overflowing with Kinsella's novels (I cannot pass up buying any that I don't already own) and I'm now finally going to read them all! This one was a library book sale find for .50, I love it because it has the beautiful cover pictures above instead of the old cover. I hope you enjoy my review and expect more Kinsella reviews in the future as I make my way through all her novels.

What I Liked:

Character Development. I was not a huge fan of Emma at the beginning of the novel. However, as the book went on she grew on me. Plus, she became a great character/person who was not afraid to stand up for herself.

Side Characters. I loved Emma's family, her grandfather (and later on her parents), plus her roommates. She had interesting interactions with both her friends, the bullies at her work, and the main love interest. Out of them all, I have to say that Jack (the love interest) was my least favorite. I found myself more interested in Emma's interactions with her family members and with her coworkers rather than the main romance. 

Humor. The characters and their various actions/responses had me laughing throughout the novel. I found the idea of spilling all of your small white lies to a complete stranger both humiliating and funny. Kinsella does a great job coming up with witty lines and funny/humiliating situations for her main characters.

Writing/Plot. I'm a fan of Kinsella's writing style and the fact that she always comes up with unique story-lines. This time around I did not find anything predictable. I knew that as a romance it would have a happy ending but everything in between was not formulaic. Instead, It was an exciting ride with humorous moments and characters placed in between the main romance. 

What I Disliked:

Romance. I was a fan of the romantic story-line/interest up until the last half of the novel (no spoilers) but then I did not like aspects of it. However, the first half has a lot of cute moments between the two main characters, Emma and Jack. It might have been better if we also had Jack's point of view during some scenes.

Characters. Some of antagonist characters were a bit over the top. The worst one was Kerry, Emma's step-sister/cousin who did not seem to have any redeemable characteristics and was horrible throughout the whole novel. Those types of characters really grate on me but I suppose that was the main point.

Length. I did feel that the novel went on longer than it needed. 

I recommend checking this out as a quick fun read if you enjoy cute romances and Kinsella's writing style.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment