Thursday, July 27, 2017

Review: The Black Key (The Lone City #3) by Amy Ewing

 Summary from HarperCollins:


The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Lone City trilogy, which began with The Jewel, a book BCCB said "will have fans of Oliver's Delirium, Cass's The Selection, and DeStefano's Wither breathless."
For too long, Violet and the people of the outer circles of the Lone City have lived in service of the royalty of the Jewel. But now, the secret society known as the Black Key is preparing to seize power.
While Violet knows she is at the center of this rebellion, she has a more personal stake in it—for her sister, Hazel, has been taken by the Duchess of the Lake. Now, after fighting so hard to escape the Jewel, Violet must do everything in her power to return not only to save Hazel, but the future of the Lone City.

My Review:

What I Liked:

Characters. The characters were the best part of this series! Violet, the main character as always was a great lead. However, I would have liked to see other points of view because her love interest Ash was barely in the novel. I loved the side characters and felt that there should have been a lot more of them.

Plot. It was an interesting plot that had me hooked from book one! I enjoyed the conclusion and character's story lines concluding. It was not the best novel in the whole series but I enjoyed it overall .

Magic/World Building. I think the world building was just okay but the magic system was really well done. I would have loved to see more about the Lone City and the magic aspects. The ending supplied the reader with a lot of the magic/fantasy aspects but I hope books in the future will focus more on the setting and the powers that Violet and the other girls possess.

What I Disliked:

Ending. I'm sad to see this series end. I had no problem with the ending, it was action packed, but I want more. I'm hoping Ewing will write more in this universe or keep going with the series.

Pacing. I struggled at the beginning up until 100 pages or so but after that the novel went quickly.
Besides that I did not have big problems with the series or this novel, it was a fun and unique series that I really enjoyed reading. I will be picking up more from Ewing in the future! :)

I recommend checking out this interesting YA fantasy series, it surprised me how much I liked it when I first picked the series up. It a solid and intriguing series.

My Rating:

4.5 Stars out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I read the first book in this series, and then never continued. It's been such a long time since I've read the first book though, that I will probably have to reread or watch a lot a reviews of it. Glad to hear that you really liked the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest rereading because it is a quick read. Thanks! :)

      Delete