Sunday, June 4, 2017

Review: Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda #1) by Jason M. Hough, K.C. Alexander

Summary from Goodreads:


With a new game: Mass Effect Andromeda, set for release in 2017, the launch of a new series of Mass Effect novels is timely. The new game will take the story in a dramatic new direction and is set in a new region of space, with a new and deadly enemy.Titan is publishing four unmissable Mass Effect novels. The novels will act as prequel and sequels to the events in the games and will become part of the overarching Mass Effect saga. These new stories, developed in close collaboration with the Bioware game team, weave directly into the action of the new game--and will reveal events kept secret over the course of game play--and will add to the canonical Mass Effect saga.

My Review:

What I Liked:

Characters. My favorite character was Sloane Kelly, she was bad ass and it made me appreciate the character more so than the video game. It was interesting to follow all of the main council of the Nexus, Tann, Addison, Kesh, with the use of third-person perspective. I believe utilizing the third-person was perfect because the focus on action and it helps bring the reader in the world. It was interesting that the authors did multiple point of views from all of the different Mass Effect species.

Plot. I love the Mass Effect games and I would suggest reading this before playing the game. It gives depth and character building to the various characters you meet within the main story-line of Andromeda.

Action/World-Building. The whole novel brought me back to the world of Mass Effect and it felt like I was watching the game unfold again. It fit into the universe that the games created and expanded on the interactions between the different species. I'm not a huge action fan but I was not bored or put off by the action because it was well balanced with the character building.

What I Did Not Like:

Pacing/Structure. I struggled a bit with the middle of the novel. The beginning and ending were action packed and interesting while the middle dragged for me. I also wanted the character of Sloane Kelly to have more chapters compared to other not as important characters.

I recommend checking this out if you enjoy the Mass Effect games., it was a fun and interesting read. I will reading the others in this series and replaying the game!

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment