Sunday, April 9, 2017

Review: The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

 Summary from Goodreads:

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell into the hands of Bilbo Baggins, as told in THE HOBBIT. In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose. 

My Review:

What I Liked:

Characters. The best part of The Lord of the Rings, and in the films, is by far the characters. My favorites as expected were the Hobbits! :) I especially enjoyed the fact that Merry and Pippin had more a role and better characterization than the film. Another character that had more of a role was Galadrial, she had more agency and scenes than I expected while Arwen had little presence in the novel.

Film Vs Book. The biggest different, besides the lack of the Old Forest, was the lack of Arwen in the story and I differently thought the film did a better job of creating her character. (I grew up adoring Liv Taylor and Arwen because I saw the first film when I was around 8 years old).

World-Building. I know this is a given but the world of Middle-Earth is an amazing creation (I also read the prequel to the series as well) and it has endured over the years. I loved the various creatures/races that Tolkien creates, the Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Wizards and many others that create a diverse world filled with magic and enchanting worlds like the Hobbit Holes and Rivendell.

What I Disliked:

Pacing. The big struggle for me was the pacing. However, once I made it past the first part of the novel after the council scene it was easier to finish it. I would suggest listening to the audiobook if you are struggling because the whole three book series gets easier to read once the first section is over (there was one rough section in start of The Two Towers).

Plot/Characters. I believe the amount of characters, the vast plot, and dialogue was overwhelming for the reader and that made my reading experience a difficult one.

I recommend checking out the series if you enjoy the films, however, the pacing/some of the plot points are different.

My Rating: 

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment