Thursday, March 9, 2017

Review: Woman No. 17 by Edan Lepucki

Summary from Goodreads:

A sinister, sexy noir about art, motherhood, and the intensity of female friendships, set in the posh hills above Los Angeles, from the New York Times bestselling author of California.


High in the Hollywood Hills, writer Lady Daniels has decided to take a break from her husband. She’s going to need a hand with her young son if she’s ever going to finish her memoir. In comes S., a magnetic young artist, who will live in the secluded guest house out back, care for Lady’s young toddler son, and keep a watchful eye on her older, teenage, one. S. performs her day job beautifully, quickly drawing the entire family into her orbit, and becoming a confidante for Lady. But as the summer wears on, S.’s connection to Lady’s older son takes a disturbing, and possibly destructive, turn. Lady and S. will move closer to one another as they both threaten to harm the things they hold most dear. Darkly comic, twisty and tense, this mesmerizing new novel defies expectation and proves Edan Lepucki to be one of the most talented and exciting voices of her generation.

My Review:

What I Liked:

Writing. Even though I had some problems with characters/plot I really enjoyed the writing style. I'm planning on checking out Lepucki's other novels just based on how much I loved her style.

Parts of the Characters. I was not a huge fan of some the actions/choices the characters make but I did like the way Lepucki wrote the point of view of the main characters. And I wish she would have done some point of views from the side characters.

Lady. Out of all of the characters, Lady was my favorite, she did make some bad choices but her character was written well and I connected with her more than S.

Style. The narrative switched from past to present and with this novel I enjoyed the flashbacks and would have liked even more of them. I felt that the novel flowed really well and it was an easy book to read.

What I Disliked:

Graphic parts. I would have liked it better without some of the graphic elements even if most of it was connected with the art storyline.

Character Actions. I was frustrated with the ending and the various actions/choices that the characters did by the end.

Plot. The blurb was misleading because it suggests a mystery/film noir style novel and I did not get that feeling from the novel.

I recommend checking this out if you enjoy character driven novels but don't go in expecting a thriller/suspense novel.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment