Thursday, February 9, 2017

Review: A Sand County Almanac And Sketches Here And There - American Museum Of Natural History Special Members' Edition by Aldo Leopold

 Summary from Goodreads:

This special edition of the highly acclaimed A Sand County Almanac commemorates the one-hundredth anniversary of the birth of Aldo Leopold, one of the foremost conservationists of our century. First published in 1949 and praised in The New York Times Book Review as "full of beauty and vigor and bite," A Sand County Almanac combines some of the finest nature writing since Thoreau with an outspoken and highly ethical regard for America's relationship to the land. 

My Review:

What I Liked:

The Language. I was not expecting to enjoy the writing style as much as I did. Leopold's writing is fluid and beautiful as he describes birds and plants on his sand farm.

The Main Message. Leopold is very persuasive as he makes the main point that man and nature should come together as a community and work together. People should treat their private and public land in an ethical way. (yes I am studying for an exam about this right now, XD)

Metaphors. I wrote my first essay for my American Nature Writing course on the metaphors that Leopold uses to influence his audience. He tends to use images of music and religion to describes the beauty and system of nature.

What I Did Not Like:

Pacing. As the novel goes on it focuses more on academic and large sweeping messages like land ethics and the Code of Sportsmanship. The main message was easy to figure out but I felt that it was a bit repetitive near the end of the novel and I struggled to finish.

Terminology. I struggled with the names of animals, plants, and aspects for ecology that I was unaware.

If you are interested in nature and love poetic language I would recommend checking out this nonfiction text! The descriptions of nature are done beautifully and really immerse the reader in the landscape.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read that I normally wouldn't pick up. Might be worth a browse. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Alyssa @ Purple People Readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not my typical read either, which is the main reason I decided to take the nature writing course, but I hope that the rest of my materials are as interesting as this one.

      Delete