Sunday, February 19, 2017

Review: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel

 Summary from Goodreads:

In this graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father.

Distant and exacting, Bruce Bechdel was an English teacher and director of the town funeral home, which Alison and her family referred to as the Fun Home. It was not until college that Alison, who had recently come out as a lesbian, discovered that her father was also gay. A few weeks after this revelation, he was dead, leaving a legacy of mystery for his daughter to resolve.

My Review:

What I Liked:

The Style. I found the art style interesting and enjoyed how realistic the images were. It does still lack some detail, and a lack of color, but I felt that the art style/colors fit with the story.

The Message. I had a hard time following the graphic memoir because of the time jumps and the wordiness. However, I really liked the the main message of sexual acceptance and not hiding who you are.

What I Did Not Like:

Graphic Nudity. After rereading, I now understand why the author uses the graphic imagery. However, I was still not a fan of the amount of graphic nudity within the comic.

Hard to Follow. As a stated before the lack of cohesive time line through me off and struggled with understanding everything that was happening. The amount of dialogue/words were out of balance with the images and felt like a chore to read them all.

Even though I struggled with this graphic memoir, I still recommend checking it out because it is well written. However, be warned it has some graphic nudity.

My Rating: 3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Despite your issues with the book, I'm glad you liked it! I've never read a graphic memoir before. The nudity would probably bother me too, and definitely the lack of cohesiveness. But it's good that you were able to enjoy it. Great review, Rachel!

    Have a lovely week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My reading list for my women and literature class is pretty interesting.

      Delete