Monday, January 2, 2017

Review: And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich

 Summary from Goodreads:

Stay away from the woods…

When Silla and Nori arrive at their aunt’s home, it’s immediately clear that the manor is cursed. The endless creaking of the house at night and the eerie stillness of the woods surrounding them would be enough of a sign, but there are secrets too—questions that Silla can’t ignore: Why does it seem that, ever since they arrived, the trees have been creeping closer? Who is the beautiful boy who’s appeared from the woods? And who is the tall man with no eyes who Nori plays with in the basement at night… a man no one else can see?

My Review:

What I Liked:

The writing. Kurtagich's writing was chilling and beautiful and it kept me engrossed in this creepy story. I had some trouble with the format and the plot but the writing made up for that.

The horror/images. The Creeper Man reminded me of the Slender Man and having that image in my head while reading intensified the fear ten fold. XD. The imagry of the molding house, the looming trees, and other atompsheric elements did a great job of bringing a chilling feeling and keeping me on my toes for the whole novel. It kept getting creepier and creepier as the story went on.

The twist. I did not see the ending coming at all! I love being shocked and the twist did just that. I recommend reading to the end even if your not feeling the characters or the plot, it is worth the time.

What I Disliked:

Format. I'm not a fan of novels with multimedia or different fonts/formats but I enjoyed this one more than others (*cough* novels with instant messaging). However, I believe the format contributed to my confusing regarding he story/plot and the constant changing of time and place.

The pacing/plot. I had a hard time following the plot completely, it tended to go to the past (without clarifying the time change) and it was very disjointed.

The romance. The romance fell flat for me and I would have liked the focus to be on the mystery instead of the main couple (however, the twist did make it better).

I recommend checking out this chilling novel but don't read it alone at night. XD

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about that type of formatting - multimedia, text messaging, emails, etc. It's cool, but it can be a little distracting. Honestly I'm surprised I liked Illuminae and Gemina as much as I did, given how they're written (metafiction).

    I'm glad you liked this one overall though! A friend who LOVES horror really enjoyed the book. I'm not one for horror so I passed on it. :D

    Great review, Rachel! Have a lovely week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled a lot with Illuminae, so I may not pick up the second one (I strongly disliked the text message aspect). This one really scared me, so I would not recommend it to those who don't like horror.

    ReplyDelete