Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reread Review: The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Summary from Goodreads:

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket
 

My Review:

I decided to revisit this series after watching the new show on Netflix (it covers books 1-4) to compare the two and see what was left out or added. It helped my enjoyment that the author writes TV Show so the tone is the same. I'm also in a bit of a reading slump and the fact that I read this in one sitting was a nice change. 

What I Loved:

The characters, or more importantly the children because the adults are pretty much failures or evil. Klaus, Sunny, and Violet are my favorite fictional characters because I grew up reading and connecting with them (and if I ever have children I know what to name them XD). The novel paints children as the smart ones that can see through evil schemes and come up with solutions to dire problems, it does not talk down to you at all.

I loved the fact that the author works in some advanced vocab and explains them for younger reads (and it helped my vocab back in the day), and as always I loved his writing style. 

However, I forgot how short the first novel is! The series, like Harry Potter, gets longer and longer and evolves as the children grow up (and as the readers grow up as well). 

I doubt I could have given this a low score or found anything wrong with it (expect that Count Olaf is beyond twisted) because it was my all time favorite childhood series. 

My Rating:

5 Stars out of 5 Stars.

4 comments:

  1. I never liked these books very much, but I thought the Netflix series was wonderful. I might have to re-read them now when I don't have a million people telling me how "amazing" they are. Glad it still holds up for you though!

    Alyssa @ Purple People Readers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them on the second read! :)

      Delete
  2. That Netflix series has been all the talk, this week! I remember reading this first book in the series when I was little, but I never continued. My sister LOVED the books. I may need to revisit the series and do a marathon read! I'm glad you enjoyed the reread, Rachel!

    Have a lovely weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend, I suggest checking them out! :)

      Delete