Monday, December 12, 2016

Review: Wicked by Joanne Fluke

Summary from Goodreads:

A Killer Rivalry. . .

When Eve Carrington is chosen to participate in an exclusive writers workshop, she knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. For one month, she will live, write, and share her work with nine other aspiring authors. The top three will get a chance to be published. But when the building they're staying in isn't ready and Eve sees the old mansion they'll be moved into, she starts having second thoughts. Not only is the mansion isolated but the deadlines are tight, the pressure intense, and the competition incredibly fierce. Her biggest rival, Angela, is writing a murder mystery based on the workshop and its participants. It's a brilliant idea. Until life begins to imitate art--and death begins to knock out the competition . . .

My Review:

What I Enjoyed:

The Plot. The short mystery was modeled after And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie but the author was able to add her own twist to it. The main reason I kept reading was the imaginative plot. 

The Point of View. The point of view changes throughout the novel, in the model of And Then There Were None, and that element helped me enjoy the mystery because I was not a fan of the main character.

The Ending. I'm notorious for guessing the ending or twists in films and novels. It was refreshing that I was completely wrong about who the killer was. However, it did end up being someone a bit oblivious. 

What I Did Not Like:

The main character. Eve, the main character was hard to connect with and I almost put the novel down after her first chapter. However, she does grow as a character and by the end I was starting to enjoy her point of view. It was a somewhat drastic personality change. 

Some of the plot/actions of the characters. I won't spoil anything, there was some actions and choices all of the characters made that were super unrealistic and a bit unnerving.

I recommend checking this mystery out for the interesting plot and if you enjoy quick mysteries.



My Rating:

3 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment