Friday, December 9, 2016

Review: Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko

 Summary from Goodreads:

Tayo, a young Native American, has been a prisoner of the Japanese during World War II, and the horrors of captivity have almost eroded his will to survive. His return to the Laguna Pueblo reservation only increases his feeling of estrangement and alienation. While other returning soldiers find easy refuge in alcohol and senseless violence, Tayo searches for another kind of comfort and resolution.Tayo's quest leads him back to the Indian past and its traditions, to beliefs about witchcraft and evil, and to the ancient stories of his people. The search itself becomes a ritual, a curative ceremony that defeats the most virulent of afflictions—despair.

My Review:



What I Liked:


The writing. I wish I could have savored this novel (it was a class read so I had to finish it quickly) because of the detailed and the metaphor laded writing.

I enjoyed stepping into Tayo's world and reading from his point of view about World War 2 and white mainstream culture.

The poetry and prose mixture was beautiful. It felt like the author was mixing together the oral tradition of the Native Americans with the classic American novel about World War 2.

What I did not care for:

The format and the point of view (third person/second person) of the novel was constantly changing and that took me out of the story.

The ending was extremely ambiguous and it did not give me any feelings of closure. However, I believe Siko wanted it to be that way. 

I recommend checking this out if you enjoy lit fiction and learning about different cultures.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment