Sunday, November 20, 2016

Review: The Telling by Alexandra Sirowy

Summary from Goodreads

Lana used to know what was real.

That was before when her life was small and quiet.
Her golden step-brother, Ben, was alive, she could only dream about bonfiring with the populars, their wooded island home was idyllic, she could tell the truth from lies, and Ben’s childhood stories were firmly in her imagination.

Then came after.

After has Lana boldly kissing her crush, jumping into the water from too high up, and living with nerve and mischief. But after also has horrors, deaths that only make sense in fairy tales, and terrors from a past Lana thought long forgotten: Love, blood, and murder.

My Review:

I decided to buy and go into The Telling blind (which I never do) and I'm glad that I did!

What I liked:

I enjoy quick reads but I also like slow burns and I ended up reading this for about two weeks. I loved taking my time with the mystery and not rushing through it.

The characters!! Mainly, Lana, she was such an intriguing character and I connected with her point of view (thankfully it only had one pov, yay). The side characters were unique and it would be interesting to see novels of their point of view in the future. I liked the fact that some of the characters started off stereotypical and grew as the main characters got to know them.

The beautiful writing. The writing style was my cup of tea. It was full of metaphors and detail focused and it kept me reading until the end.

I love reading and guessing twists in mysteries (I do the same thing with tv/movies) and I did end up figuring out the big twist at the end. However, I did not guess all of the aspects so it was still a thrilling ending.

What I did not care for:

I took off about .5 for the last part of the book, the reveal and twist felt rushed and information was dumped in one chapter. I think the novel should been even longer (and it was almost 400 pages) to stretch the mystery out.

I recommend checking this amazing thriller out for the unique plot and the stunning writing.



My Rating:

4.5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I enjoyed the author's first book and am eager to read more from her! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm currently reading The Creeping, glad that you enjoyed it!

      Delete