Thursday, November 3, 2016

Review: So Far from God by Ana Castillo

 Summary from Goodreads:

Sofia and her fated daughters, Fe, Esperanza, Caridad, and la Loca, endure hardship and enjoy love in the sleepy New Mexico hamlet of Tome, a town teeming with marvels where the comic and the horrific, the real and the supernatural, reside.

My Review:

So Far From God tackles a lot of topics both political and cultural through Magical Realism and it was an insanely confusing novel for me.

It is not a feel good read, there is so much death that I had to put it down for a bit

The style through me off because it is ambiguous about major plot points and some of the chapters just did not make sense in my opinion.

However, the characters and the beautiful writing made up for the confusion and the ending I just did not understand.

The Magical Realism aspect was done really well with the characters of Caridad and La Loca who tell the future and heal others. It was not too over the top and the mixture of normal character balanced out the magic elements. I enjoyed how the author used the format and the magic to touch on important topics like double standards in society.

My favorite character was Caridad (who I'm writing a paper on at the moment) but I also enjoyed the chapters about the rest of the family.

I recommend checking this out if you enjoy Magical Realism.


My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment