Thursday, November 17, 2016

Review: Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore Stultz

Summary from Goodreads:

Pretty and popular track star Marijke Monti is confident about almost everything – she’s got great friends, a great family, and she’s on her way to the State Track Championship. In fact, the only thing Marijke isn’t confident about is her relationship with Tommy Lawson. 

Lily Spencer has spent her entire high school career preparing for the future – she’s participated in every extracurricular activity and volunteer committee she could. But, at home, she watches her mother go on date after date with dud-dudes, still searching for “the one.” Lily realizes that she’s about to graduate and still hasn’t even had a boyfriend. 

While they live on each other’s periphery at school, Lily and Marijke never seemed to have much in common; but, after a coincidental meeting at the movie theater, Lily gets an idea – why can’t life be like a movie? Why can’t they set up their perfect romantic situations, just in time for their senior prom, using movie techniques?

Once the girls come up with the perfect plans, they commit themselves to being secret cohorts and, just like in the movies, drama ensues.

My Review:

I jumped into this contemporary blind based off of the title/cover. I was in the mood for a fluffy read that would make me laugh/smile and this hit the spot! I've had this one sitting on my kindle for years and I'm glad that I decided to finally read it.

The plot was pleasantly unique with the idea of using various films to show someone how much you love them. It referenced amazing films and connected it back to the relationships and even the growing friendship between the girls.

The novel really takes a look at the benefits and negatives of relationships during teen years and also at overcoming shyness. I connected with the main storyline with Lily, who feels invisible and used by those around her, because it hit close to home with my own experiences.

I've had some bad luck with contemporaries and not enjoying the characters but with this one, Marijke and Lily, the girls we follow were great characters that I connected with both of them right away. 

I recommend checking this out if you love movies and want a quick fun read.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so cute and happy (perfect for how this month has felt overall). I especially like the idea of using films to show someone how you feel about them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! :) It was a fun read

      Delete