Friday, November 11, 2016

Review: The Call by Peadar O'Guilin

 Summary from Goodreads:

Imagine a world where you might disappear any minute, only to find yourself alone in a grey sickly land, with more horrors in it than you would ever wish to know about. And then you hear a horn and you know that whoever lives in this hell has got your scent and the hunt has already begun.

Could you survive the Call?

My Review:

I started my ARC of The Call in October as my spooky read and it took me almost two months to finish it (and it is only 312 pages). I dislike giving bad reviews but

I had a hard time finishing this novel and I'm usually pretty good at powering through. However, the imagery and the characters really put me off.

I would not recommend that young adults read this because of the horribly graphic imagery, the violence, and more.

The fae and the human made creatures that were hard to read about and I  will not returning to this messed up world. I appreciate unique plots that go against the mainstream but this one was not for me.

And side note, I'm a woman and as a junior high and high school student I've never had a female friend call me a negative term in a supposedly friendly way. One of the characters did that quite a bit and it was uncomfortable to read. It might be a cultural thing, at least for me, but I was not a fan of the dialogue between the friends or the relationships.

The best aspect of the novel that kept me reading was the main character, Nessa, and made myself read to find out if she survived.

If you enjoy twisted/gruesome imagery this is the novel for you, just not for me.

My Rating: 

2.5 Stars Out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that this one wasn't for you. I still find myself curious about this one! I love a good creepy read and fae reads too! Nice honest review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for sure a creepy read and a lot of people have enjoyed it, I bet you might like it more then I did.

      Delete