Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Review: The Season by Jonah Lisa Dyer, Stephen Dyer

 Summary from Goodreads:

She can score a goal, do sixty box jumps in a row, bench press a hundred and fifty pounds…but can she learn to curtsey?

Megan McKnight is a soccer star with Olympic dreams, but she’s not a girly girl. So when her Southern belle mother secretly enters her in the 2016 Dallas debutante season, she’s furious—and has no idea what she’s in for. When Megan’s attitude gets her on probation with the mother hen of the debs, she’s got a month to prove she can ballroom dance, display impeccable manners, and curtsey like a proper Texas lady or she’ll get the boot and disgrace her family. The perk of being a debutante, of course, is going to parties, and it’s at one of these lavish affairs where Megan gets swept off her feet by the debonair and down-to-earth Hank Waterhouse. If only she didn’t have to contend with a backstabbing blonde and her handsome but surly billionaire boyfriend, Megan thinks, being a deb might not be so bad after all. But that’s before she humiliates herself in front of a room full of ten-year-olds, becomes embroiled in a media-frenzy scandal, and gets punched in the face by another girl.


The season has officially begun…but the drama is just getting started.

My Review:

The main reason I picked this up (besides the cover and the fact that it reminded me of Gilmore Girls) was because I won it from Goodreads and just decided to jump into blind.

I was expecting humor, and I got some of that, but I was not expecting the novel to be a retelling of my favorite classic, Pride and Prejudice.

I took off a full star because of the pacing of the retelling, it felt insanely rushed to get all of the aspects of P&P into it in 300 pages. Plus, the spending that family does (when they are dealing with debt) put me off because I'm not a fan of overspending on stupid things like dresses that you only wear once. I can see why spending can be acceptable for something that only happens once. The novel does a great job discussing the spending and even combating it at the end.

I really connected with the main character (who also saw the spending as stupid), she is a soccer player, not a fan of overly girly things, but she is able to grow as a character throughout the novel.

Plus, the side characters were amazing as well, Julia (Jane), the mother (who actually gets some redeeming qualities compared to Miss Bennet) Andrew (Mr. Darcy), and many more.

I can be argued that she was critical and stubborn at parts but that was the whole message, not to judge people right away (and Elizabeth was the same way).

I recommend checking this out if you love Pride & Prejudice, it was not a perfect retelling but it was still a fun read! :)


My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment