Monday, October 10, 2016

Film Review: Some Like It Hot (1959)

Summary from IMDB:


When two musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all-female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.


My Review:

I watched this film back I was 16 years old (and visiting the actual hotel where they filmed) and I rewatched as a almost 24 year old.

It was interesting to see all the jokes, sexual references and metaphors that flew over my head. The director did work against the censorship production code by hiding the sexual references in witty dialogue. It would be cool to see a film in the present try to do that as well.

The mixture of the mob world and the comedic element of the two men dressing as women was a strange mix that seemed to work. We have various dark comedies these days, and the amount of death and references to the crime of 1920s could classify this film as an early dark comedy.

The performance that really stood out in this fast paced comedy was Jack Lemmon as Jerry/Daphne, he was hilarious and daring in the role that pushed the evolope during that 1950s.

The musical element in the film, with the band and Monroe's beauitful singing, was well done and I enjoyed how the type of song fit with the narrative.

I recommend checking this out because it was a hilarious comedy of disguise and zany situations. 

My Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Some Like it Hot is a fantastic comedy. It is so clever and witty. I also love the last line in the film -- it is perfect! Great review.

    ReplyDelete