Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Film Review: Charlie Countryman (2013)

Summary from IMDB:

While traveling abroad, a guy falls for a Romanian beauty whose unreachable heart has its origins in her violent, charismatic ex.

My Review:




I watched this on a whim, and mainly because Rachel Even Woods was in it, because it seemed like an interesting film.

The plot was unique, the characters were kind of nuts, and it  had the element of magical realism. There was a big plot point that was shocking because I was expecting the film to be a realistic mob style drama but it took away those expectations and replaced it with something better.

The romance element was the downfall for me, I loved Evan Rachel Woods parts in the film, but I just did not believe in the romance between Shia LaBeouf and Woods.

The villain in the film is Woods's psycho ex, and it was played by Mads Mikkelsen (from Hannibal) who did a great job of giving off creepy vibes through body language rather than words or actions.

The nudity/drug use was over the top for my cinematic tastes, so I tended to fast forward those scenes (sorry Rupert Grint! ).

I would suggest checking this out if you enjoy strange elements and good acting by Woods and Mads.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment