Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Summary from Goodreads:

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER 
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

My Review:

I can't believe I passed up this novel for so many years!! It was a random buy for .50 cents from my library based on the beautiful paperback cover. I'd been hearing nothing but good things about this and finally decided to read it.

It will be hard to review the mystic novel The Night Circus because I adored it and it has such a depth. I have two words to describe this novel: Beautiful and Magical.

I do not have any cons when it comes to the novel (which is a strange thing) I loved every aspect of this contemporary fairy tale!

The characters were amazing, the novel switches between past and present in a coherant way and focuses on a whole mess of relatable characters. The book's main focus is on the characters but the plot was magical and unique that it kept me enthralled.

The pace was slow but I enjoyed savoring the magical writing and staying with the characters for two weeks (which never happens, I tend to devour books in two days or less).

My favorites: Poppet, Celia, Bailey, and pretty much all of them!!!!

I'd like to say the genre was more on the fantasy side but I can also see the magical realism aspect with the historical elements.

I recommend checking out this sprawling tale of magic and love that will leave you with a desire to go to The Night Circus. :) It is now my favorite novel of 2016.

My Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment