Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Review: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare


3777732
Summary from Goodreads:

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.

My Review:

Pros:

Simon. He is my all time favorite character in the series, along with Maia and Isabelle. I love that he finally getting more love. :)

Alec/Magnus - They will be the main reason I check out the show (even if the acting is so bad it makes me cringe).

Great Villains, they always make a series better.

The plot is still interesting despite the pacing and how it was drawn out. I can't wait until we get to the Infernal Devices aspects in the later books (they are still by far my favorites of Clares writing).

Cons:

The romance was blah. When I was in junior high I adored Clary/Jace but now years later I can see it was a bit heavy handed and sappy. I'd rather have romance like Simon/Isabelle or witty banter instead "I LOVE YOU" "BUT I CAN'T BE WITH YOU." all the freaking time.

The length and pacing were brutal to get through. I almost decided to stop reading but soldiered on because I want to finish the series before the year is out. The novel was WAY too long, 500 pages, a lot of stuff could have been cut.

I still recommend checking out this series for the characters but be warned it is a long one.

My Rating:

3.5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment