Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Review: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


18209268
Summary from Goodreads:

A powerful, tender story of race and identity by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the award-winning author of Half of a Yellow Sun.

Ifemelu and Obinze are young and in love when they depart military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Beautiful, self-assured Ifemelu heads for America, where despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple with what it means to be black for the first time. Quiet, thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Fifteen years later, they reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria, and reignite their passion—for each other and for their homeland. 

My Review:




Amerianah was the first novel I read for my ethnicity literature class and a great start to the semester.

I doubt I would have picked up this novel without the class and now I cannot wait to read more from Adichie.

Her writing style was a joy to read, it was lyrical and striking and the novel allows the reader to see from other points of view and open their eyes to racism and American culture.

The characters were amazing and by the end of the novel the reader is rooting for them to make it in either society. The one I connected with was Dike, who is struggling with identity and Aunty Uju, who has to figure out how to make a living.

The only thing I did not care for was the formatting, the jumping from present to past was confusing for me as a reader. However, her style is good, the train of thought format reminded me of Virginia Woolf.

I recommend reading this interesting commentary on race and America.

My Rating:

4.5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment