Friday, September 16, 2016

Film Review: The Fundamentals of Caregiving


Image result for The Fundamentals of Caregiving
Summary:

A writer (Paul Rudd) retires after a personal tragedy and becomes a disabled teen's caregiver. When the two embark on an impromptu road trip, their ability to cope is tested as they start to understand the importance of hope and friendship.

My Review:




I stumbled across this film on Netflix a few weeks again and decided to watch it based off the cast: Paul Rudd and Selena Gomez.

It was a surprising film because I was not expecting it to be insanely funny, it is labeled a dark comedy (I can see why) but I would label it a light one instead. It deals with topics like disabilities and death in a humorous and heart-warming way.

The film stuck close to the main thread of the story, where Ben is a caregiver for Trevor and they go on a road trip to crazy road side attractions. There were some differences like some of the funnier jokes added into the film and some characters changed.

Trevor (Craig Roberts), who needs the caregiver and cracks the majority of the jokes, was my favorite character in the film and book.

However, the main character Ben, was vastly improved compared to book and I connected to his character on an emotional level. It helped that he was played by Paul Rudd, who I love as a comedic actor.

Selena Gomez also did a great job as Dot, a hitchhiker they pick up on the road and who has an extreme vulgar month, which always makes me laugh.

I took off half a star for some of the comments on women's bodies, it was not as bad as the novel but it was still there in a tamer way.

I recommend both reading the novel and watching the film but I would have to say the film made me laugh/cry more.

My Rating:

4.5 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment