Friday, August 5, 2016

Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood


5102
Summary from Goodreads:

A gripping vision of our society radically overturned by a theocratic revolution, Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid's Tale has become one of the most powerful and most widely read novels of our time.

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, serving in the household of the enigmatic Commander and his bitter wife. She may go out once a day to markets whose signs are now pictures because women are not allowed to read. She must pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, for in a time of declining birthrates her value lies in her fertility, and failure means exile to the dangerously polluted Colonies. Offred can remember a time when she lived with her husband and daughter and had a job, before she lost even her own name. Now she navigates the intimate secrets of those who control her every move, risking her life in breaking the rules.

Like Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World and George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Handmaid's Tale has endured not only as a literary landmark but as a warning of a possible future that is still chillingly relevant.

My Review:

I've been meaning to pick up this novel and any novel by Atwood for a while now but she has always been a challenging read for me. However, since the last time I attempted to read her (Oryx and Crake) I've evolved as a reader and had a better time understanding her writing style.

It took me longer than normal to read The Handmaid's Tale, I took my time and savored the beautiful writing/symbolism of Atwoods writing style.

I was able to connect with the main character Offred, so it made it easier to read and feel for the horrible things the character and other women go through. It was somewhat hard and shocking to read about how women are treated in this world. It was extremely frighting and horrific to read because of the undertone of 'this could possibly happen'.

I was confused at parts, mainly the ending, and the story seemed to conclude in a open ended way and there are no other novels after this one.

I recommend checking this out, it is a unique and confusing novel but beautifully written.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this book. Many of my friends had to read it for a class, but I never got that experience, so I picked it up to read for fun a few years ago. I love how subtly terrifying the world is in that book and how awful it is because it's all so normalized. I'm glad you took your time to enjoy it and ended up liking it. It's one of my favorites. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete