Friday, July 8, 2016

Review: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami, Alfred Birnbaum (Translator)


106484

Summary from Goodreads:

'A narrative particle accelerator that zooms between Wild Turkey Whiskey and Bob Dylan, unicorn skulls and voracious librarians, John Coltrane and Lord Jim. Science fiction, detective story and post-modern manifesto all rolled into one rip-roaring novel, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the tour de force that expanded Haruki Murakami's international following. Tracking one man's descent into the Kafkaesque underworld of contemporary Tokyo, Murakami unites East and West, tragedy and farce, compassion and detachment, slang and philosophy.'

My Review:

I went out of book comfort zone with this read, it was fun I just went to the library and grabbed some random books off the return shelf. I like science fiction but have a hard time with hard scifi and this definitely falls into that category.

Despite the rocky start, the duel stories threw me off, by the end it was a great and interesting novel with new plot elements I have not seem before.

The characters, and I am a character person when it comes to books, were okay. They grew on me and I was rooting for a happy ending for them.

The ending was extremely interesting and it brought all of the elements of the plot together.

I recommend checking this out if enjoy more advanced science fiction and Murakami's novels.

My Rating:

4 Stars Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment