Friday, May 15, 2015

Review: My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga


18336965
Summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner.

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince.
  

My Review:

I mainly picked up this debut contemporary because of the cover, which is how I pick the majority of books (besides by author). And I cannot begin to tell you how utterly heart-breaking and beautifully written this novel was. This is the a first novel for Warga, and it was an amazing one, I will be picking up any other novels that she writes in the future.

I was not sure that I wanted to read this novel because of the topic, suicide, I knew that it would make me sad and the last book I read about that topic ended up crushing my heart. I did end up in tears, mainly because I fell in love with the two main characters, Aysel and Roman and hated the fact that they were suffering from depression.

Writing about depression or other mental diseases is a tricky thing because it hard not to make it seem over the top or even miss the mark completely. I have experience with parts of depression, and this author describes it so well, as the "black slug" that won't let Aysel have any happiness. It broke my heart, but it also opened my eyes to what people may be going through will depression.

I recommend reading this novel if you can handle the subject matter because she is a beautiful writer.

My Rating:

Five Stars Out of Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment