Monday, May 5, 2014

Review: House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple

Summary from Goodreads:

Josephine Hemlock has spent the last 10 years hiding from the Curse that killed her mother. But when a mysterious man arrives at her ivy-covered, magic-fortified home, it’s clear her mother’s killer has finally come to destroy the rest of the Hemlock bloodline. Before Jo can even think about fighting back, she must figure out who she’s fighting in the first place. The more truth Jo uncovers, the deeper she falls into witchcraft darker than she ever imagined. Trapped and running out of time, she begins to wonder if the very Curse that killed her mother is the only way to save everyone she loves.

My Review:



The two things I loved about this book was the beautiful cover and the creepiness of all the things that magic needs like finger nails and spiders, ick. However, I would have enjoyed this more if they focused on the Gothic side more rather then the teenager/boyfriend and friends side.

I was going to give this book 4-5 stars during the first half of it, but as it went it dragged so instead I went with 3.5. I'm also not a huge fan of witch themed novels, but compared to the other witchcraft books I've read it is one of the better ones. 

And the fact that a lot of the non-witch characters just believed in everything and gave up their fingernails like it was nothing was not very realistic. 

If it had been me learning about witchcraft that makes you give up limbs and other body parts and they wanted to pull out my fingernails I would have been like this: 

I recommend this book to those that do not want a heavy read, it only took me a day or two to finish it up, and want a witch novel that is not totally creepy.

My Rating:

Three and a Half out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment