Friday, May 2, 2014

Review: Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels Trilogy # 1) by Anne Bishop

Summary from Goodreads:

The Dark Kingdom is preparing itself for the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy--the arrival of a new Queen, a Witch who will wield more power than even the High Lord of Hell himself. But this new ruler is young, and very susceptible to influence and corruption; whoever controls her controls the Darkness. And now, three sworn enemies begin a ruthless game of politics and intrigue, magic and betrayal, and the destiny of an entire world is at stake.

My Review:

After reading Written in Red by Anne Bishop I really wanted to read another book by her, and to my joy I found that I had a book of hers sitting on my shelf! I bought the book a few months back for .25 cents at my library only based on the cover, and I was so glad that I did not get rid of it during my spring cleaning. :)

I just love Bishops writing style and I plan on reading as many books of hers as I can, and I'm just glad that I have my library as a resource. Her novels have started me on a high fantasy kick (my last one was the Song of Ice and Fire series) and it is getting easier to lose myself in the worlds that she creates.

The Black Jewels Trilogy has many worlds and Bishop does a great job making them, and Hell is one of the worlds, which tells you know dark this series is.  And the idea that the women rule the Dark Realms and men serve them is something you do not see very often.

The reason why I did not give it five stars is sometimes the content was too sexual for my tastes, and it was clear that the book did not need it. However, the beautiful writing made me want to go on reading the book and also move on to the other books in the series.

I recommend this novel to older fantasy lovers, fans of A Game of Thrones and other series like that.

My Rating:

Four out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment