Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: Of Monsters and Madness by Jessica Verday



Release Date: September 9th, 2014
Summary:

A romantic, historical retelling of classic Gothic horror featuring Edgar Allan Poe and his character Annabel Lee, from a New York Times best-selling author.

Summoned to her father's home in 1820's Philadelphia, a girl finds herself in the midst of a rash of gruesome murders in which he might be implicated. She is torn romantically between her father's assistants-one kind and proper, one mysterious and brooding-who share a dark secret and may have more to do with the violent events than they're letting on.


Summary from Goodreads

My Review:

I'm a big fan of Edger Allen Poe so I knew that I would enjoy this novel, plus I was already familiar with Jessica Verday's writing style after reading The Hollow series. I liked this book even more then the Sleepy Hollow retelling, the setting and the writing was even more Gothic and creepy.

The only downfall that I found was that it was a little slow in the beginning and there could have been even more creepiness going on.

The main character Annabel was not boring or stupid and I was a big fan of hers by the end of the novel.

The ending of the first book makes it clear that there will be a second novel, and I will continuing the series.


My Rating:
Four Out of Five. 

No comments:

Post a Comment